It feels only right that my first post talks about Christopher Nolan's Odyssey adaptation that has just come out recently! Nolan's Odyssey came out on July 17th and of course I went to see it soon after. I actually wrote my dissertation on film adaptations of the Odyssey and Iliad - unfortunately I did graduate in 2026 too, so the Odyssey only just missed out on some scrutiny in my dissertation. As far as action/hero films go on a generic basis, the Odyssey is a tough competitor to the rest out there. Nolan's created a cinematically excellent film that engages the audience from the very beginning. However, I do think its impossible not to notice the small idiosyncrasies and annoying plot holes when you are well versed on the topic. The casting of these films are so typically strategic, Nolan's casting of Matt Damon as Odysseus, mirrors that of Brad Pitt as Achilles (Troy, 2004). Achilles is glory, rage and sex appeal; whereas Odysseus is crafty and cunning. Both Brad ...
Comments
Post a Comment